Thursday, September 11, 2008

All Hallows Eve Dishcloth Exchange Questionnaire


1. Do you knit or crochet? For how long?

I primarily knit. I've been doing it for a little over 4 years now. I can crochet, but I'm not very good at it because I don't do more than a crochet chain every once in a while! It's something I hope to work on in the future.


2. What sort of needles or hooks do you enjoy using the most? Are there some you've been dying to try out and haven't?

I like using Bryspun straights and Addi Turbo circulars. I'd like to try the KnitPicks Harmony wooden ones.


3. What kind of projects do you most enjoy? Small things you can take with you, or big complex ones that are just gorgeous when they're done?

I think I like smaller projects where I can get "instant" gratification, if there is such a thing in knitting! Things like scarves, hats, dishcloths, baby sweaters ---bath mitts are my absolute favorites! I tend to lose steam on the bigger tasks.


4. List one pattern for a dishcloth that you love to make, or just tell us about one you've made or received that you loved.

I absolutely love this pattern: http://www.jimsyldesign.com/dishbout/kpatterns/lacymockcable.html

And I love this one too: http://skullcharms.blogspot.com/2008/06/free-pattern-clover-tweed-dishcloth.html


5. What are your 'must have' notions? Are there any notions you need or can never have enough of? Any that might make you cry if you owned more?

Must haves: dangle-free stitch markers. I don't know how I ever lived without them. I have recently found the need for stitch holders and I have precious few of them right now! I think I lost a couple :(. Too much of anything is never too much! :-) I am happy to receive any kind of notions.


6. What are your favorite yarns to work with? Any you hate or are allergic to?

I love merino wool, cotton, alpaca, & bamboo. I don't mind acrylic if it's mixed with something (cotton/acrylic blends are actually really nice)! I'm not a fan of mohair or any of the furry, eyelash, ladder, novelty stuff. Also, I don't really care for "thick & thin" wool yarn. I find it very difficult to knit with.


7. What colors do you like to use in projects? Any we'd never catch on your needles?

Here's my short answer about colors: Anything but teal.

To elaborate: I like lots of colors! Really, it's more like what colors don't like me! For instance, I love yellow and orange, but they look hideous on me. They are great colors for dishcloths, though and for accessories. I like heathered, natural colors the best. I'm fond of plum, green, all kinds of blues, grays, terracotta, coral, purple, red, taupe, browns and mocha. Nearing the bottom of my list are pastels. Not a huge fan of burgundy either. And --- to reiterate --- I hate, hate, hate teal. Teal should be obliterated from all human existence.


8. Any cottons you'd like to try you can't find by you, or just haven't gotten around to getting?

I've tried tons of cottons and I enjoy them all. Cotton is just such a nice fiber to work with. Always fresh and crisp. I will say that I prefer worsted-weight cottons to the bulky-weight ones.


9. Do you like to use bar soap or shower gel more? What kinds of scents do you love? What kind do you hate?

I generally gravitate towards shower gel, but I'd love any fancy-schmancy soap! Scents: fruits (particularly pear and citrus), green tea, oatmeal & honey, cucumber, lavender. Bascially, fresh and natural scents. I absolutely CANNOT STAND patchouli and I'm not really a big fan of cinnamon all by itself.


10. What's more 'Halloweeny' - Ghosts, Pumpkins, or Witches?

I gotta go with Pumpkins. :-D


11. What's your favorite Treat to get? Sweet or Salty? Anything you're allergic to or just hate?

Oh, bring it ALL, baby! No Twizzlers, though. YUCK. Chocolate, of course, is the BEST. Love me a chocolate-covered marshmallow or pretzel. Fudge is awesome. I love pistachios too. Look, if it's high in calories and fat, I'll probably like it. ;-) Since this is Halloween-themed, I thought I'd mention that I love candy corn and those small pumpkin-shaped candies (which essentially taste like candy corn). YUM.


12. What was your favorite Halloween Costume as a kid? As an adult??

As a kid, hmmm...let's see...my grandmom would always put together neat costumes for us. But one year, when I was about 12, I ventured into the world of costume-making on my own and came up with a pretty convincing Charlie Chaplin. I'd have to say that is my favorite. I can't even remember the last time I dressed up in a costume as an adult, so that is an unanswerable question for me!


13. Are you on Ravelry? What's your ID?

Yes'm! Id is: mirthful


14. Anything else you'd like to be sure your pal knows?

Well, look upon my blog for 5 seconds and you'll probably figure all this out anyway but:
I am a cat freak. I have 6 of them. They are my furry children.
I am a huge fan of MST3K.
I love to collect little hand-sewn, stuffy animals or little carved wood ones or little ceramic ones. I am a video-game geek and just a gamer geek in general.
I think that's about it!

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Popping over from the AHEDE... what great cloth patterns you've posted! I'm going to have to add them to my queue. Enjoy the swap!

Bubblesknits said...

I chose you as my person for Topic #1. :-) I couldn't agree more with your answer to "What's your favorite treat?"! Hop on over to my blog if you'd like, www.alabamafiberdreams.com

Gina said...

Hey! Thanks for posting guys! :-)

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

Came from AHEDE.I love my cat precious I have always been a cat lover.Hug Darcy