Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Resurrection

Hi. How are you? Remember...this?


Yeah...poor, poor, pitiful Pinwheel Sweater. It's been languishing unloved, un-celebrated, and unsung in a knitting bag since June 2008. For some unknown reason I got to thinking about this sweater last night. Maybe it was the yarn (Lion Brand Cotton Ease), which I liked working with, or maybe the colors, which I also think are calming and work well together, or maybe it was the recollection that I was 75% done with the thing, but I suddenly wondered, "Uh...why the frak didn't I ever finish this??" Clearly, I liked the yarn, the colors, and the pattern enough to get it to near completion. There is NO seaming involved at all here. The sleeves are picked-up and knit down to the cuffs. WTF is up with me?

So at 11:45 pm I yanked it out of the bag. The counter I was using for this project was as multi-function plastic sheet of calculations that you could slide little check-points up and down-- much fancier that your plain ol' vanilla row counter. So you could determine what row, what stitch, how many repeats, if you were increasing or decreasing and how many times you needed to do that. Neat when I first got it. But utterly useless to me at this point. It might as well have been in Chinese. I felt a sense of terror come over me. Maybe this is why I stopped? Something went wrong and I have to rip the thing back to the sleeve holes?

I glanced at the project on the needles and it came to me almost instinctively: you're knitting this round and you need to increase 1 in every section (there are 8 sections).

So I did. Then I purled the next round (400 stitches...whimper). But, it wasn't...terrible. I mean when I knit the ruffle scarf (Ooh La La), I had to purl 1600 --- yes 1600 --- stitches PER row for a couple rows and I survived with my sanity (mostly) intact. And I also realized that I only need to knit a few more rounds then bind the thing off! Again, I was bemused by my actively avoiding finishing this sweater for over 2 and half years.

Long story short (too late), I'm finishing the son-of-a-bitch, hopefully by the end of the month.

Famous last words, right?

3 comments:

Bubblesknits said...

lol Good for you for pulling it out and working on it again. That's how it went with my Central Park Hoodie. Took me forever to finish it.

Pat said...

Can't wait to see it finished and you modeling it! Let me know if you need a buddy to do the photography, I am availble!

Anonymous said...

HOORAY! I am so glad you are finishing this sweater! It is going to look AWESOME on you!