Monday, October 01, 2007

Topic Of The Week #4

Topic of the Week #4

How about you? Are there any recipes you especially enjoy having in the Fall? Any foods that are seasonal that you especially enjoy?
Feel free to share recipes with us too!

Well let's see.... There are SO many food items that I associate with Fall. I guess one in particular is yams. Oh Lawd, I love me some yams. I think I particularly associate yams with the Fall, especially Thanksgiving. For me, they DEFINE the holiday. I don't even entertain eating yams any other time of the year.

Also asparagus. I don't know why. Maybe because my grandmom would make her frittatas more often in the fall. She'd make them with peppers or asparagus or potatoes (OMG, my favorite), or with mozzarella. But the asparagus one particularly reminds me of fall. She'd call them "pies." I remember coming home for lunch when I was in grade school. Side note: Yeah, us kids that went to Catholic school usually lived within a walkable distance in the parish where the school was situated. So we got sent home for lunch, but it was only like 1/2 an hour or something. And my grandmother was technically closer than my own house, by, like half a block. And who WOULDN'T want to go to their grandmom's instead anyway?? Anyway, so she'd say, "So do you want a potato pie? Or an asparagus and egg pie?" As a kid, aged 9, I went for the potato. LOL But later I grew to appreciate the asparagus one!

Pies in general remind me of the fall. Especially the obvious ones, like pumpkin or pecan. But also pretty much ALL fruit pies seem autumnal to me.

Yams, pies---gee, fall 'aint good for my waistline, now is it?



No comments: