Monday, December 04, 2006

Unbelievable Yarn

Oh man, so I am addicted to yarn. We all know that. And I have a habit of having like 14 projects going at a time. Well, I read somewhere online about a person who knitted and felted a couple of small rugs to use in her entryway and bathroom. And I thought, "What a super idea!" So I am going to try this. I mean, how hard can knitting and felting a big rectangle be? It's not going to be anything fancy --- just a nice rectangular rug for my bathroom. Maybe fringe. I haven't decided.

So the person who did their felted rugs recommended Plymouth Italian Fingerpaints yarn. She said she used 3 hanks of it. I searched high and low for this yarn. Then I realized why I was having such a hard time finding it: it's been discontinued. Story of my life, really. Anyway, when I DID find it on a couple of yarn-store websites, it was outrageously expensive. Sometimes as high as $40 a hank. So, I knew I would need at least 3 hanks. There's no way I would ever spend $120 on a bathroom rug, especially with a man in the house, if you catch my drift....

Enter ebay, in all its glory! I found an ebay seller selling this yarn for $12.95 a hank. YIPPIE! Now that's more my speed! I bought 4 hanks, just in case. The color I chose was pastels #715.

Here is a picture of it as it appeared on ebay:
















Well, the colors are pretty accurate to what the yarn looks like in person. But, really, this picture just does not show how amazing this yarn is. First of all? The hanks are FREAKIN' HUGE. Seriously, they are over 2 feet long. I've tried to find another picture of it fully extended out so you can see it. I'll try to take a picture of the 4 hanks I have tonight so you can see what I'm talking about! It has 132 yards per hank, which is a lot of yarn for something this gauge. Also, it's super soft and very large. They recommend size 17 needles, but I will have to go to 19 or maybe even 35 in order to get the right gauge for felting shrinkage.

Anyway, I am like totally GAY for this yarn.

No comments: