Sunday, September 16, 2007

Deserted Island

Well, Marsha is running a contest to celebrate her Blog's 2nd birthday!

The rules? Just name three things that you would want with you if stranded on a desert island.

This is really tough. I keep thinking about the movie Castaway with Tom Hanks! He didn't get the opportunity to choose. Being pretty equally left-brained and right-brained, I can really see the necessity for practicality, as well as the value of comfort and pleasure. So choosing three items has proved quite a challenge. Adding to the challenge is not knowing how long this desertion will be. I would probably choose different items if it were 3 years rather than 3 months. Nevertheless, here they are:

1) My green knitting bag, aka "the luggage." There are so many things I can do to occupy my time with what is in this bag. Also, there is the option of re-knittability. I can knit something, keep it for a while, then frog it and knit something else.

2) I'm going to assume that this is an island kind of like what's on Lost, albeit without smoke monsters, the hatch, and Matthew Fox (dammit). So in that case, I would want a book identifying all the edible flora, fauna, and fruits, etc. and which things were poisonous or posed some other health concern.

3) One of my cats, probably Titus. I was going to say Todd, but I don't think it's fair that he would have to be deserted with me, although he'd probably love it. Anyway, I chose one of the cats because I think everyone needs some kind of companionship and needs some living thing to care for. It's what makes us alive, I think. Why Titus? Well, he's the most easy-going of the cats. He pretty much eats whatever you put in front of him and he loves me to death. I'm sure he thinks that I am his mother.

No comments: