Monday, September 17, 2007

Topic Of The Week #2

So because I am half out of it more than half the time, uh...yeah....I totally forgot to post the first "Topic of the Week" on my blog for the Fall Into Autumn Dishcloth Exchange. That said, here is the 2nd Topic of the Week:

TOPIC OF THE WEEK

When you knit or crochet dishcloths, washcloths or facecloths, what do you use? What size needle or hook? What type? Metal? Plastic? Wood? A specific Brand? Why do you love that needle or hook so much? Is there one you are dying to try? Is there a particular yarn you love and use all the time for cloths? What is so special about it?

Lordy. This is like a 478562096-part topic.

Well first of all, I have only knit dishcloths. I can crochet, but I really am totally new to that skill. I have much more comfort and seasoning in knitting, so that 's what I do.

When I make a dish/wash cloth, I use cotton yarn. I have made a couple of bath mitts as well, one of which was a cotton & linen blend. And OH MY DOG, I love knitting up the bath mitts! I am going to make a dishcloth with a 55/45, cotton/acrylic blend, just to see how that turns out. I think it might have more durability and scrubbing prowess than just the plain cotton. We shall see....

I have a few favorite patterns that I use for dishcloths, and I just found 2 more today that I ADORE. Like this one. But, anyway, I always use whatever needle size the pattern calls for. If none is stated therein, I use the yarn's recommended size, and if that's not there, then I will go with a size 7.

Well, if you asked me 2 years ago "which type needle do you prefer," I would have shouted, "STRAIGHT, thank you very much!" But now, I'm not so sure. I think I really like the flexibility of a circular needle in my hands. And it's easier to store a work-in-progress if it's on circulars. And...well...I don't poke my boobs either. (This is why I like circulars for socks, rather than DPNs. TMI, I know.) So I have to say that I like using my Denise needles for dish/wash cloths, in general.

As for "metal, plastic or wood," I'd have to say resin/plastic come in first because of that touch of flexibility, with metal second because of their speed, and wood last. I just really dislike those blunt ends of the wood needles; it splits the yarn, especially cotton! And cotton is pretty unyielding, so it often sticks and catches on the wood as well. I find that wood is a good option when I am knitting something I am not too familiar with. Because it slows me down and forces me to pay attention.

Brand isn't really important to me. I do like the Denise set a lot. And Addi Turbos are all that people say they are and MORE, especially for socks. One of my favorite "brands" of needle is Bryspun. They are resin, I think, or maybe plastic. But they have a certain feel to them that is a lot warmer and smoother than plastic needles. I find knitting with the Bryspun is a visceral experience for me. It's almost like the needles become an extension of me. TMI, again, I know. Even though I am not a huge fan of wood, I am dying to try KnitPicks NEW, COOL-ASS Harmony needles. I mean just LOOK AT THEM.

For $1.35 a ball, Sugar N' Cream and/or Peaches N' Cream knits up a helluva fine dishcloth! So I do use that all the time. I have used Bernat Cottontots, as well. This makes a really soft and uber-absorbent cloth. My only complaint about Cottontots is that it doesn't come in enough colors. All the colors are like kid-oriented. Like would it kill them to make a tan, plum, and sage green colorway instead of purple, lime green, and white? I would really like to try a fancier, softer cotton, I think. I have purchased some Cherry Tree Hill cotton yarn, which sort of has a bouclé texture to it. That seems like it will be fun to use. I also have some pure Louet linen that I got on clearance. I am going to try that soon too.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice review on needles and your likes and dislikes. Maybe I shouldn't call it a review, but it's nice to hear what other people like. I'm about to start some socks and can't decide which kinds of needles I want to use..... so, your topic of discussion is challenging my mind!

Katie J said...

I think we should have a KAL for that dishcloth. Wow, that's cool! I'm in your camp with the needles and circulars are now my best buds. I haven't tried Bryspun or Harmony, but I'd like to try both of them.